Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and First aid training for YPPs in Yobe state, Northeastern Nigeria
KEY ACTIVITIES AND ACHIEVEMENTS IN 2017
1. Formation and structuring of 6 YPPs.
2. Identification, counseling and re-integration of at-risk youths into YPPs, their families and school: Emotional
3. Mentoring of youth: (a) Remote mentoring- Call-in radio program (Over 5000 listeners from Parts of Yobe, Borno and Gombe). (b) Up-close mentoring-”Mentor-mentee” interactive session with mentors from the movie
industry, academia, state and national institutions (NOA, NSCDC): Changing the course of their thinking & world view, drama, music: Healing of social structure.
4. Formation of 3 clubs namely: (a) Emergency, environmental and early
warning club [EEEWC]. (b) Peace-building, unity and dialogue club [PUDC]. (c) Drug free club [DFC].
• Youths identified areas of interest; possible gaps in the communities and how they can bridge them through these clubs.
They respond to community needs in general.
5. Youth-led peace learning exchange & conflict analysis: Youth now have maturity, social poise and courage to confront conflict in their communities.
6. Uniting youth
groups in conflict through dialogue:
*Pawari and Ajari communities (Damaturu LGA).
*DSTV and Tabare (Potiskum LGA)
*Liverpool and cosmos (Potiskum LGA)
7. Weekly club outreaches: *Reconciliation between youth groups in
communities by peace building unity and dialogue club; Community clean-up by EEEWC, Sensitization on the danger of drug/substance abuse; Youths having a sense of responsibility and communalism; youths make resolution to stay away from substance abuse
& embrace responsible citizenship.
8. Formation of women for peace (WFP): Empowering at risk girls by counseling; Reconciliation and dialogue between girls in conflict with their parents.
9. Building of CSO capacity on conflict analyses and advocacy: CSOs now have the capacity to analyze conflict and carry out effective advocacy.
10. Capacity building for EEEWC on Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first
aid: Youths now have basic skills to promote public safety, support community as first responders and ultimately become productive members of the society.
• Relationship with CR as an internationally recognized organization.
• Being part of the conflict transformation in the NE and especially Yobe.
• Proud to have local peace structures like the YPPs.
the capacity to respond to community peace building needs
This project is a peculiar blend of activities that catalyses community peace-building through local initiatives that are passion driven.